Well, I've been "trying" to sew again. Matt mentioned a couple of weeks before Christmas, that he really wanted to have a nice organizer for his crochet hooks. I couldn't agree more since his hooks are all over the place. He's got some in a jam jar, some in an old ugly hook case, and some just lying around. I decided to surprise him with a nice little "hook-organizer". I couldn't find anything in the stores which was good, since I really wanted to give sewing a go again.
I shopped for some pretty fabrics, binding, zippers, and some thread. I wasn't really sure how the fabrics would work together, but as long as it was bright and colorful, Matt would be happy. I found a tutorial somewhere online, which also involved a clear zippered pocket and I wanted to take the challenge. I've never really worked with zippers, so it was quite a scary task! Everything went quite OK. The plastic I used for the pocket didn't really turn out to be suited for the job. It was too hard and not really bendy. I was determined to have my plastic pocket, so I just went on. It was a big flop. The pictures I took of it make it look quite OK, but in real life it's very wonky, the binding doesn't cover a bit of the case, the magnetic closure is a bit loose and I can go on... Judge for yourself.
As you might be able to see in the lower left picture, I really had to fold the plastic to make it bend with the case. I wish I had just cut the plastic shorter, and attached it a little bit to the left of the fold.
Let's just say it was a learning project. At least I knew how to sort of sew in a zipper, sort of sew a binding and sort of get the basics of sewing.
But this was definitely not the final product I wanted to give to Matt. It had to be nicer and actually a little bit simpler. I was lucky that I bought plenty fabric and even had another zipper lying around. So, next try. This time without a pattern, completely improvised!
I wanted to have it look more like a needle roll instead of a "Beauty Bag". Instead of making it a roll, I made it more like a thin book which you close by tying the ribbons hanging from the side of it. It has room for a lot of crochet hooks, and also a big pocket which can hold anything crochet related. Here's what came out of it:
As you can see above, by the time these pictures were taken, it was used quite a lot already! It's been folded and stuffed, and the fabric got a bit wrinkly! But I guess that's a good sign, at least it's being used and loved!
And here you see all three of them including the one I made for myself last year! I still love it and use it quite a lot! However, I switched to Addi Click's now, which come with their own 'proper' case. But this one is still perfect for all my DPN's and knitting accessories.
I would have loved to share my finished "Leftie" shawl today, but I didn't manage to take any pictures yet! I finished it last night, and couldn't be happier with it! It's already blocked, and I even wore it out today. I will blog about it as soon as I got some decent photographs!
And now off to bed! I start work again tomorrow after my 6 week break! Back to singing and dancing rehearsals, until I go on board again end of this month!